alastair's heart monitor

To give me something to do while I'm waiting for and then recovering from heart surgery, and to keep friends, relatives and colleagues in touch with the state of my head

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Campbeltown Library

I read with some sadness on the Kintyre Community site that the town library and museum is moving from the magnificent (listed) Burnet Building in Hall Street to some new-fangled swimming-pool/multi-purpose affair at Kinloch Park.

Almost inevitably, the Burnet building will be occupied by Argyll council and be turned into a glorified rent-office. Obviously it's many years since I used the library on a regular basis, and things cannot stay the same way forever, but I was quite shocked to see this recent photograph of the area formerly occupied by the children's library - 40+ years ago I stood in this very place excitedly browsing through the Enid Blyton and Just William and Jennings etc books. Now it's all packed up and ready to leave forever.

Truly the end of an era.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>