alastair's heart monitor

To give me something to do while I'm waiting for and then recovering from heart surgery, and to keep friends, relatives and colleagues in touch with the state of my head

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Roger and Out

I like Roger McGough. He used to be in the Scaffold. Lily the Pink and all that. Medicinal compound. Drink-a drink-a drink to Lily the Pink the saviour of..... Yeah, Roger's OK - he's fae Liverpool - scouse wit - but gentle with it - Thank you very much for the Aintree Iron - that was another of the Scaffold's hits - yeah, Roger's one of the nice guys. But, Roger has taken leave of his senses. This is Roger's latest poem - REASONS FOR WINNING Win it for the fans whose happiness will depend on it Win it for Sven whose career may well end on it Win it for the nurses and local authorities Win it for the poor and ethnic minorities Win it for the girl awaiting the operation Win it for the firefighters racing back to the station Win it for the late train and the overcrowded bus Win it for granny who can't understand the fuss Win it for prisoners banged up in their cells Win it for couples in seedy motels Win it for young mums pushing their buggies Win it for saddoes, asbos and druggies Win it for the dads who can't bear to lose Win it for Brooklyn, Romeo and Cruz Win it for young Rooneys-in-the-playground, learning new tricks Win it for old heroes at Wembley, the class of sixty-six Win it for the ex-pats, all the fans overseas Win it for the viewers at home. Please. Win it for the ordinary man in the street. But above all, win it for yourselves You've got the world at your feet. Reasons for winning. No pressure. © Roger McGough www.rogermcgough.org.uk I've been inspired to get my rhyming hat on - Lose it for the twisted wee folk like me Who don't want to live to see Another forty years of utter pee On the TV

1 Comments:

Blogger almax said...

Nice to hear from you again Mak..but how confident are you about this? - I had some correspondence with a reader in Australia who ventured that it was the name of a race on the Aintree circuit - I looked it up on google and it produces inter alia the suggestions that it is (a) a tree in Aintree (b) Liverpool football club (c) Brian Epstein (d) a Liverpool railway yard (e) an iron foundry (f) open-air urinals and (g) a horse-shoe.

The Guardian's web-site has an e-mail reputedly from Mike McGear (aka McCartney) who says "AS I actually wrote "Thank U very much for the Aintree Iron" for Scaffold, I trust that I'm the best judge as to the authenticity of your readers' answers. Stephen Bold says that he once heard me define the Aintree Iron as "iron hoof: poof", ie Brian Epstein, "a resident of Aintree". I suggest he buys a hearing aid! I have never commented on Brian's sexuality, and I could never have said that he was a resident of Aintree, as he didn't live there. As for Neil Burgess, who says the Iron was a railway "gravitational marshalling yard" . . . what a load of grid iron! Sorry, Neil, you're light aeons away. As it's now coming up to 30 years since I created this mischievous little monster, I'd like to thank U all very much for your continuing curiosity, and look forward to the next 30 years of miles-off guesswork."

Mike McCartney, (ex-McGear, ex-Scaffold), Liverpool

5/12/2006 11:51:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>