alastair's heart monitor

To give me something to do while I'm waiting for and then recovering from heart surgery, and to keep friends, relatives and colleagues in touch with the state of my head

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Sorry about this......

In the same general disgusting area as the previous anecdote, I recall the following story being recounted by Auberon Waugh ; In the 1960's the Nigerian Head of State, General Gowon, was on a State visit to London, and was afforded the full trappings including riding in a horse-drawn carriage on the Mall with the Queen. At one point, one of the horses broke wind very loudly and at great length. The Queen, practiced in defusing embarrassing situations, leant across to General Gowon and said, "I'm so terribly sorry about that". The General, not quite so skilled in social etiquette, replied, "That is alright, Your Majesty. I thought it was one of the horses".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>