alastair's heart monitor

To give me something to do while I'm waiting for and then recovering from heart surgery, and to keep friends, relatives and colleagues in touch with the state of my head

Friday, May 05, 2006

My Favourite Books

Number 6 - Poems and Songs of Robert Burns

I bought this hardback collection of Burns' poems and songs in 1975 for the bargain price of 95p. I bought it in Mrs Wotherspoon's shop in Campbeltown and it was old Mrs Wotherspoon herself who sold it to me. I needn't make very much editorial comment about this book - the works of Burns are either important to you or they're not. They are important to me. Although over the years I have accumulated quite a number of 'collected works' of Burns, including the supposedly definitive Canongate issue, I always come back to this book as my first and favourite collection. When Death's dark stream I ferry o'er (A time that surely shall come), In Heaven itself I'll ask no more Than just a Highland welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>